Grape Seed Extract Background and Benefits
A grape vine is any member of the Vitis genus, which are deciduous woody vines. Grapes are the fruiting berries of these vines and typically grow in clusters. They have many uses as food, beverages and health supplements.
Grapes probably originate from the Near East, although grapes are commercially cultivated in temperate climates throughout the world. They have been cultivated for at least 8,000 years, primarily for winemaking. Yeast grow naturally on the skin of grapes, which was a significant factor in the early development of winemaking.
Approximately 60 species of grapes exist, although only a few are commercially significant. Wine is typically made from varieties of V. vinifera, also known as the common grape vine. V. labrusca, commonly known as the fox grape, is typically used for table grapes and grape juice.
Extracts from grape seed have also become popular dietary supplements in recent years. Some of the most pharmacologically active components of grape seed extracts are oligomeric proanthocyanidin complexes (OPCs), which have antioxidant properties. This activity provides grape seed extract with the potential for protecting cells from free radicals, which are highly reactive ions or molecules. Free radicals may cause many types of cellular damage, which primarily include age-related conditions.
A study of healthy subjects showed that grape seed extract significantly increased the antioxidants in their blood. The most significant benefits of grape seed extract include the management of healthy circulation and blood pressure.
Grapeseed extract induces vasodilation (relaxation of vascular tension), reducing the pressure on blood vessels. One way in which grapeseed extract works is to increase the enzyme called endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS). This enzyme is found in blood vessel walls and is responsible for producing nitric oxide. By increasing eNOS, grapeseed extract helps produce more nitric oxide which helps relax the smooth muscle of blood vessels, assisting with the maintenance of healthy blood pressure.
Oxifend® Grape Seed Extract
Oxifend® Grape Seed Extract is made from Sauvignon Blanc grapes that are grown in New Zealand’s Marlborough region. This region is also the premier winemaking region in New Zealand.
Oxifend® Grape Seed Extract is extracted with a proprietary “Aqua Pure®” process that uses only water. The grapes are harvested and the juice is removed with a cold press technique, leaving the skin and seeds. The seeds are extracted with water and filtered to separate the seeds from the skins. The seeds are then freeze dried to preserve their antioxidant activity. Oxifend® Grape Seed Extract is completely soluble in water and contains no solvent residues.
Oxifend® Grape Seed Extract has high levels of polyphenols, including OPCs with a high molecular weight. It contains 48 percent polyphenols, of which 80 percent is OPCs. The remaining 20 percent of Oxifend® Grape Seed Extract’s polyphenolic content is epicatechin and epigallocatechin, which have lower molecular weights than OPCs.
Uses of Grape Seed Extract
The most common use of grape seed extract is as a potent antioxidant. It is useful for maintaining healthy blood pressure and supports cardiovascular and digestive health, and provides anti-aging benefits for both the skin and eyes.
Eye health support
Grape seed extract may help maintain eye health and support the healthy function of the eye.
Multiple studies show that the OPCs in grape seed extract may help to manage the symptoms of insufficient blood flow through the veins. Its antioxidants can also help to keep blood vessels free of plaque.
Support for aging
This potent antioxidant helps to slow down visible signs of aging through its action against free radicals in the body. Daily consumption could help support skin health.
Digestive health support
Grape seed extract is often used to help support healthy digestion and maintain healthy digestive function.
Signs You May Need Grape Seed Extract
The most significant signs that you may need grape seed extract are generally due to oxidative stress, especially those that affect the cardiovascular system. These signs primarily include an unhealthy blood pressure and cholesterol level. You may also benefit from grape seed extract if you suffer from edema, which can cause discomfort, fatigue and visible veins. Chronic venous insufficiency and atherosclerosis are additional signs that you may need grape seed extract.
Synonyms and Similar Forms of Grape Seed Extract
Grape seed, grapeseed extract
Zhang H, Liu S, Li L, Liu S, Liu S, Mi J, Tian G. The impact of grape seed extract treatment on blood pressure changes: A meta-analysis of 16 randomized controlled trials. Medicine. 2016 Aug;95(33):e4247.
Kar P, Laight D, Shaw KM, Cummings MH. Flavonoid-rich grapeseed extracts: a new approach in high cardiovascular risk patients? Int J Clin Pract. 2006 Nov;60(11):1484-92.