As we age, it's normal to experience some soreness in our joints and aching in our bones. The natural deterioration of joint fluid causes inflammation, which can lead to loss of cartilage and, in some cases, arthritis; while loss of bone density can develop into brittle bones or osteoporosis, which causes debilitating pain and impacts the quality of our lives.
To keep our bones and joints strong and live well for longer we must, as always, eat a healthy diet and get the right kind of exercise. And while calcium is essential to bone health, it's a common misconception that loss of bone density is only caused by a lack of dietary calcium.
Yes, we need to absorb a certain amount of calcium in an effective bio-available form to keep our bones strong. But oftentimes, bone density loss is actually triggered when the blood becomes slightly acidic and your pH levels are thrown off balance.
In such cases, our body goes into survival mode and draws calcium from the bones to neutralize the acid in the blood. This affects our bone density.
How to increase bone density & strengthen joints
- Eat a healthy diet: The Mediterranean diet (fish, vegetables, fruit, olive oil, and nuts and seeds) is one of the best ways to keep our bones strong and our joints healthy. The presence of alkaline foods, like leafy greens, cucumber, lemons and pineapples, help keep our blood pH balanced reducing the risk of bone density loss, while fish, olive oil and nuts and seeds keep joints lubricated with essential omega 3s and 6s.
- Exercise regularly: Resistance exercise increases bone density and keeps the muscles around the joints strong, which controls inflammation, swelling and pain. So incorporate sensible weight-bearing exercise into your daily life, like hiking, lifting weights, climbing stairs, and yoga.
- Get natural Vitamin D: Calcium and vitamin D work together to protect your bones – calcium builds and maintains bones while vitamin D helps your body effectively absorb the calcium. So to improve bone density, get sensible doses of sunshine. As a guideline, your body gets more Vitamin D from 20 minutes of direct sun than it does taking a high-dose supplement for a month.
The age-old mantra ‘prevention is better than the cure’ has never rang so true with regards to musculoskeletal health. But to compliment the lifestyle tips above, it’s worthwhile taking natural bone and joint supplements to optimize nutrient nourishment and support comfort and mobility as you age.
Strengthen your skeletal system with Bone Support
Ideal for those who want to maintain healthy bones, Bone Support helps promote better posture, mobility and strength by:
- Improving bone strength
- Maintaining bone function
- Supporting healthy blood calcium levels
- Managing cartilage damage.
Specially formulated with bio-available calcium from marine algae, Bone Support also contains essential co-factors, such as Vitamin K2, Vitamin D3 and Magnesium, which enhance the efficacy and absorption of the calcium to deliver optimal bone health support.
Experience healthy, happy joints with Green Lipped Mussel Powder
A must-have for anyone experiencing stiff muscles or painful joints, our 100% pure Green Lipped Mussel Powder is formulated to support joint and cartilage health, reduce everyday aches and pains, and maintain mobility as we age.
This potent, all-natural superfood is packed with beneficial bioactive nutrients, including:
- Glucosamine, which helps us regain elasticity within our connective tissue so we can maintain supple, healthy joint, and
- Omega 3 fatty acids, which replenish the moisture in our cartilage to help manage inflammation, ease discomfort and promote joint mobility.
Cushion joints, support lubrication & boost mobility with Not Just Joints
Not Just Joints is our exclusive high-strength supplement designed to relieve serious discomfort caused by overworked joints.
Effectively targeting cartilage health, inflammation, and bone-on-bone scraping, Not Just Joints is formulated with a whole host of potent nutrients that work together to reduce soreness and improve movement, including:
- Glucosamine to support healthy joint lubrication
- Chondroitin to manage the progression of joint conditions
- Green Lipped Mussel powder for inflammation management
- Methylsulfonylmethane to alleviate discomfort.