You may be thinking, skin is skin, so how could it possibly matter what skin care product I use? In reality, men’s skin is very different from women’s skin, and not very well suited to benefit from women’s products. (Ref. 2)
Thanks to testosterone, men’s skin is about 25 percent thicker than women’s skin, and has a tougher surface that makes it difficult for skin care products not designed for men’s skin to penetrate deep beneath the top layers. That tough surface is caused by more collagen protein than women. Collagen is what keeps skin looking taut, vibrant and free from wrinkles. (Ref. 2)
Although men and women both begin to lose their collagen about 1 percent per year after age 30, men have more of the protein at the start. That means men may look younger longer, a benefit that is only accentuated when women’s collagen loss speeds to 2 percent after menopause.
Men also have a rougher skin texture that produces more oils than women’s skin, and they also sweat more. Men have more lactic acid in their sweat, which accounts for lower pH as compared to female sweat. Men’s skin seems to be better hydrated as compared to females. Excess sweating and lactic acid, which is a natural humectant, is responsible for the level of tissue hydration. (Ref. 4)
Creating your own skin-care cabinet
Clearly, men need products suited to men and the issues important to men’s skin, which can also be prone to outbreaks and sensitivity, especially from daily shaving.
The place to start is a brand that is producing products designed for especially for men.
According to one survey, however, this could be just as problematic as using the wrong product, because almost half said they would not want to bother shopping while another 21 percent said the whole thing would be too embarrassing, lest a friend deemed too manly to care about his looks catches him at the counter.
“Men seem reluctant to spend their own money on grooming products,” said Beautyheaven editor Carli Alman in an online interview. “They're happy to let the females do all the beauty shopping.” (Ref. 1)
With shopping one of the biggest roadblocks for men, actually heading to a storefront will likely be unsuccessful, but an internet shopping site is completely different.
“Clearly there is still some stigma attached for men to buy beauty products in public, but mainly it’s because guys hate going shopping,” one expert said. “This is why we have seen a marked increase for men buying skin-care products online because that way they can avoid feeling awkward in a shop.”
Go online – and shine
An all-natural buying experience such as Xtend-Life – which answers virtually all questions either in the product Q&A or through customer service staff – is an excellent place to start, because we focus on both the quality of our products and the impact we have on the environment while doing so. (Ref. 3)
Our line for men includes:
- Foaming Facial Cleanser. This luxurious cleanser contains Manuka honey and Kiwifruit extract, offering natural moisture, antioxidants to help support the skin and gentle fruit enzymes to help gently exfoliate skin.
- Age-Defying Exfoliating Scrub. This exceptional exfoliating product goes deeper beneath the skin’s surface, revealing new skin cells, supporting circulation and naturally sloughing away dead skin cells with natural lava rock. It also uses Kiwifruit extract to balance skin’s pH, improving skin appearance.
- Age Defying Body Lotion. Our Age Defying Body Lotion contains natural ingredients and it’s lightweight enough to melt into your skin without leaving a shiny film.
- Age Defying Facial Fluid. This unique face moisturizer contains Witch Hazel and our signature Kanapa™ blend to reduce the appearance of redness and to soothe skin that may be irritated from shaving. Many of these natural ingredients have anti-bacterial properties to reduce the risk of infection and promote healing for clearer skin.
- Eye Contour Serum. Our serum helps soothe the skin around the eyes from last night’s late night business meeting or socializing while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by supporting the delicate skin cells around the eyes.
- Age Defying Hydrating Mask. Sometimes men torture their skin with too much fun in the sun, on the golf course, sailing the ocean or biking through winding country roads, face battered by the wind. All our favorite activities can leave our skin parched, so we’ve created our Age Defying Hydrating Mask to make up for the dehydration. Apply it in place of the Facial Fluid one night every second week, and after about a half hour, gently wipe off any excess.
- Age Defying Cleansing Mask. Time spent outside can also clog pores and make skin more likely to develop blemishes, so a deep cleansing is perfect for men’s hard-working skin. It will even help lift deep grime from skin, making it a perfect companion to the Hydrating Mask. Alternate each week for optimum benefits.
You may also like...
8 Super Ingredients To Boost Your Immune System
June 2020 by, Customer Care Team
Coughing and sneezing? Head ache? Run down? Bounce back from colds and flu and boost your immunity with...Read More
Invest in Nutrition for a Lean and Fit Body
June 2019 by, Xtend-Life Expert
Men in their 30s and 40s are at the peak of their career and personal life. With the...Read More
Recipe: Coconut and Watermelon, Absolutely!
June 2020 by, Xtend-Life Expert
If you are looking for the perfect way to rehydrate on a hot day or after intense exercise...Read More